KHAZAR UNIVERSITY LIBRARY & INFORMATION CENTER STRATEGIC PLAN
2023 - 2025
Our mission is Enabling Discovery. Enriching Experience. Realizing Potential.
Our aim is to provide innovative and relevant library services to support Khazar University (Khazar) to be a leading global university.
This Strategic Plan will drive the development of the Khazar University Library & Information Center (KULIC) towards future success. It sets out a vision for the organization we believe is needed for the future, and the things we will achieve by 2025 to meet these aspirations. The deeper understanding of the changing needs of research and scholarship that we gain will reveal trends in learning and research behaviors that we will respond to in order to maximize the Library’s contribution to University success. This Strategy is the next phase in a continual reinvention of the KULIC to suit changing demands and to ensure that the Khazar University receives the very best, and most relevant, library service it can afford.
- Provide services and resources to support the research ambitions of Khazar
- Provide services and resources to support the distinctive learning experience at Khazar
- Contribute fully to Khazar’s regional, national, and international roles.
- Develop Library infrastructure (space and IT) to meet University aims and enable
- Develop Library staff and processes to underpin effective and innovative services that meet customer
This Strategic Plan will drive the development of the Library and Information Center towards future success. It sets out a vision for the organization we believe is needed for the future, and the things we will achieve in the nearest future to meet these aspirations.
The Library’s priorities ensure that we can deliver in new and mission-critical areas, building services which will support the Khazar goals. We have taken account of over a century of investment in collection building, the enormous impact of digital technologies, and the continuing importance of physical spaces for both learning and research.
Goal 1: World-class research
Our vision is to:
Have a key role in enabling researchers across all disciplines to produce research with the widest impact at all stages of their careers. We will emphasize our roles in supporting open research, library and information support for training early career researchers and fostering interdisciplinary research. Work with our academic colleagues to ensure our collections support all of the University’s research priorities.
Promote research across discipline boundaries by building on our relationships with the grant authorities, faculties and exploring new ways to connect researchers using our systems, content and services.
- support the University’s research priorities;
- Institutional Repository development and implementation of new version of DSpace;
- implement ERASMUS+ project “Developing Research Capacity through Institutional Repositories Network in Azerbaijan”
- offer training and support specifically targeted at early career and post-graduate researchers
- develop our content and collections, stimulating new ways to exploit these resources with a focus on the University’s research priorities
- Increase student satisfaction with the Library’s services, facilities and staff
- Advocate for sustainable alternative publishing
Goal 2: Outstanding learning and student experience
Our vision is to:
Enrich the teaching, learning and student experience by ensuring that all our students receive a high quality, creative and innovative service. Take an inclusive approach to actively supporting student retention and success, both for study on campus and through our expanding distance learner offer.
Focus on supporting the University’s need to address the complex issues of differential services, and clearly demonstrate the unique quality of its teaching and learning activity through the use of bibliometrics and other methods of evaluating impact.
- continue to take an innovative approach to ensuring the provision of the Library resources students need to be successful in their studies;
- support the University’s new emphasis on digital learning by developing an innovative digital service offer that benefits all students and contributes to their success;
- increase student satisfaction with the Library’s services, facilities and staff;
- increase the quality and variety of online support material available for teachers and students ;
- increase the availability of spaces for collaborative and quiet study;
- develop high-quality, evidence-based collections that support the University’s teaching andmlearning activities;
- make it easier to find and access information within the Library’s collections;
Goal 3: Openness and Publishing
Our vision is to:
- Engage communities, individuals and groups with our spaces, collections and services;
- to enhance their lives and broaden the Library’s scope for impact. Have a positive impact on people’s lives through the establishment of ‘openness’ as our default.
- Work in partnership with our target audiences on cultural and educational projects by engaging individuals and groups with our spaces, collections and services and developing opportunities to participate in Library activity for local residents and organizations;
- Increase the availability and accessibility of Library content, data and services to nontraditional audiences, evolving our current practices around the acquisition, exposure and development of content, data and services to incorporate ‘open principles’;
- Increase the accessibility and use of University research outputs for the benefit of audiences beyond our academic staff and students by supporting the development, dissemination and application of research through opportunities of DSpace;
- Develop a strategic relationship with Khazar University Press to consider how they can work in partnership to support new approaches to scholarly publishing;
- Facilitate collaboration between and among library, publishing entitles and learned societies that share their values;
- Build publishing ISBN & ISMN services in the Library;
- Attract, develop and progress our people to ensure optimum performance within a culture of openness, support and trust;
- Target collection development activity to meet emerging research and teaching
Goal 4 Enabling strategies
Our vision is to:
- Build strong foundations to enable the Library to deliver its strategic goals, facilitating a high-performing culture that will deliver service excellence.
- ensure our services meet or exceed expectations, put our customers first and deliver without unnecessary friction;
- ensure that Library facilities support the teaching and learning, research, academic and social needs of the University by increasing the range and quality of flexible spaces across all our sites;
- contribute to the wider landscape of Higher Education through strategic collaboration with local and foreign academic libraries;
- vastly increase availability of e-resources accessible on multiple